Deluxe Norway - Winter: Snow Hotel, Northern Lights & the Arctic
- Duration: 11 Days
- Season: September through March
- Cities Featured: Oslo, Flam, Bergen, and Kirkenes
- Price: $6,161
- 1st class hotels
- Enjoy panoramic & urban landscapes
- Guided tours & free time for exploration
- See the Northern Lights up close & personal
- Fun for children & adults alike
In this deluxe package, experience the beauty of the Norwegian winter and the excitement that can only be found in the Norwegian Lapland: dog sledding, Sami culture, reindeer safaris and, with a little luck and some clear nights, the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis). Depending on when you visit, gorgeous holiday decorations and lights will take your breath away. Stay in the finest hotels and enjoy the unique experience of sleeping in the SnowHotel, in your own Ice Suite.
Included in the Premium Package
- 10 nights at centrally-located, 4- and 5-star hotels with daily Scandinavian breakfast buffet for all guests;
- Flights from Bergen to Kirkenes and from Kirkenes to Oslo
- 5 guided Sightseeing tours led by the most friendly and knowledgeable local guides;
- The Norway in a Nutshell tour, an incredibly beautiful and exciting journey which includes scenic train rides on the Bergen and Flam lines and a ferry ride along the majestic Sognefjord;
- Luggage handling between Oslo and Bergen. All you need to bring with you is an overnight bag for your night in Flam. Your luggage will meet you in Bergen, making the journey much more comfortable and relaxing;
- 48-hour Oslo Passes for all guests, giving you access to all the main attractions in both cities, plus local transportation;
- Airport-to-Hotel transfer via private car upon your arrival in Oslo;
- All of our services: preparing and implementing your entire trip (including your personalized travel book), addressing all your questions and taking good care of you while you are traveling, through our network of suppliers and our staff in the US.
Arrival in Oslo
Oslo Food Tour – Norwegian Delicacies
Norway Maritime Past at Bygdøy Island
Days 1 through 3 – Discovering Oslo | Click For Summary
Your arrival at the hip and vibrant Norwegian capital is the start of your adventure. Your friendly driver will greet you at the airport and take you to your luxurious hotel. Once there, spend the first day exploring awesome Oslo at your own pace. On Day 2, join a local guide and see many fascinating corners of this elegant, clean and chic capital, while visiting several eateries and tasting a variety of Norwegian delicacies. Taking full advantage of your Oslo Pass (included), spend some of your time in the city learning about Norway’s rich maritime history in the awesome little museums of Bygdøy Island, affectionately known as “museum island.”
Main attractions: Oslo Opera House, Vigeland Sculpture Park (amazing collection of statues about the human condition), the Viking Ship Museum, the Kon-Tiki Museum, Akershus Fortress, Bygdøy.
Guided activities: 4-hour Food Tour of Oslo
Accommodations: The Thief Hotel
Flam Railway & The Sognefjord
Fjord Safari in Flåm, Undredal & Arrival in Bergen
Days 4, 5 – In the Heart of Fjord Country | Click For Summary
Continuing your journey, embark on the Norway in a Nutshell ®, a trip which will take you through some of Norway's most beautiful fjord scenery. You will experience the scenic Bergen Railway, the breathtaking Flåm Railway, the Aurlandsfjord, and the narrow and dramatic UNESCO-protected Nærøyfjord.
Included in this segment of your trip is a night in beautiful Flåm, which will allow you to further immerse yourself in the splendor of Norway. Feel the thrill of a fjord safari aboard a fast RIB boat along the Nærøyfjord and make a stop in the little village of Undredal, where you will taste some authentic Norwegian goat cheese.
Main attractions: train ride along the Flam and Bergen lines, ferry ride along the Sognefjord
Guided activities: RIB boat tour along the Nærøyfjord
Accommodations: Flamsbrygga Hotel
Exploring Bergen, the Gateway to the Fjords
Arrival in Tromsø & Northern Lights Safari
Days 5 through 7 – Discovering Bergen | Click For Summary
Your beautiful journey continues and takes you to Bergen, the city known as the “Gateway to the Fjords.” Take your time when exploring this magnificent town, which is beautiful however you look at it. There you can eat lunch at the Fish Market, admire the entire city atop Mount Fløyen and soak in the local art at the KODE museums. It is also possible to include a private tour of the city to your program if you wish.
Main attractions: funicular to Mount Fløyen (spectacular views), the Bryggen (old wharf & traditional wooden buildings), Hanseatic Museum, Bergenhus Fortress, KODE art museums
Accommodations: Det Hanseatiske Hotel
Reindeer Sledding, Sami Culture & Northern Lights
Dog Sledding out of Tromsø
Return to Oslo
Days 7 through 11 – Above the Arctic Circle: Kirkenes | Click For Summary
When you land in Kirkenes you become part of a select group of people who can say: “I have been north of the Arctic Circle!” Close to the Finnish and Russian borders, Kirkenes offers excellent opportunities for Northern Lights viewing and also a vast array of options to all of those who seek a kind of “softcore” adventure typical of the region. In this tour, we will present you with opportunities to search for the Aurora Borealis on snowmobiles, drive your own dog sled, catch (and eat) your own king crab and learn about the fascinating Sami culture (indigenous people to Lapland). Furthermore, you will be able to experience the magical dance of the Northern Lights from your own Gamme Cabin (rustic cabin with a glass wall for viewing) and spend a night in a hotel suite built entirely in ICE! Conclude your adventure with a return to Oslo for a night at a hotel by the airport, making your return home the following day convenient and stress-free.
Guided activities: Northern Lights Safari on Snowmobiles, King Crab Safari, Self-Drive Husky Safari
Accommodations: Kirkenes Snowhotel