Finland: Dogsleds & Aurora Borealis in Lapland
- Duration: 8 Days
- Season: December through March
- Cities Featured: Helsinki, Rovaniemi, Kemi
- Price: $699 to $849 per day, per person
- See Helsinki beautifully decorated for the winter
- Go on several excursions after the Aurora Borealis
- Try dog sledding & other Arctic adventures
- Stay in Rovaniemi, Finnish Lapland’s capital
- Sleep in an Ice Room & ride the Icebreaker Sampo
Exotic. Lapland, the northern part of Finland, Sweden, and Norway, is home to sights and adventures that most people only dream of experiencing.
This tour is your ticket to the winter adventure of a lifetime, where you will explore Lapland's wilderness and learn about its traditions. In Lapland, you can ride an ice-breaker ship, cross the Arctic Circle, chase the Northern Lights on snowmobiles, race on a dog sled, cross the wilderness on snowshoes and spend the night at the Ice Hotel. There you will also learn about the Sami, who are the only indigenous people in Scandinavia that are recognized and protected under the international conventions of indigenous peoples, and are hence the northernmost indigenous people of Europe.
NOTE: this itinerary can be slightly modified or reordered in order to accommodate for flights to and from North America. Package prices vary depending on date of travel.
Included in the Premium Package
- 6 nights at centrally-located, 3- and 4-star hotels with daily Scandinavian breakfast buffet for all guests;
- 2 nights in Kemi, including a night at the SnowCastle;
- Roundtrip, direct flights between Helsinki and Rovaniemi (economy class seats);
- Train transportation between Rovaniemi and Kemi;
- 6 guided tours led by the most friendly and knowledgeable local guides (all necessary equipment is included, as well as heavy winter coats);
- A brunch mini-cruise at the Sampo icebreaker ship along the waters of the Arctic Ocean
- Airport transfer via private car and driver upon your arrival in Helsinki;
- All of our services: preparing and implementing your entire trip (including your personalized travel book), addressing all your questions and taking good care of you while you are traveling, through our network of suppliers and our staff in the US.
Arrival in Helsinki
Winter Wonderland in Helsinki
Days 1, 2 – Decompress in Helsinki | Click For Summary
Start your adventure by decompressing and relaxing after the long flight with a couple of days in Helsinki, the Finnish capital. This modern, unique and impressively clean city will furnish you with delicious Scandinavian food, eye-grabbing architecture, and culture for all tastes. A private tour of the city will ensure that you visit all the highlights.
Main attractions: Helsinki Senate Square, Temppeliaukion Church (excavated in a huge rock), Sibelius Monument, Upenski Cathedral
Guided activities: Private Walking tour of Helsinki (3 to 4 hours)
Accommodations: Clarion Hotel Helsinki
Rovaniemi, Capital of the Finnish Lapland
Lapland Adventure – Snowmobiles, Huskies & Northern Lights
Days 3 through 5 – Rovaniemi, capital of the Finnish Lapland | Click For Summary
Your Lapland Adventure is about to start! Situated only about 6 miles south of the Arctic Circle, Rovaniemi and its outskirts offer you a variety of tremendously exciting activities. Select from husky safaris, reindeer safaris, chasing the Northern Lights on snowmobiles, snowshoeing - to name a few - and we will build days and nights filled with winter adrenaline for you.
Traveling with kids? Then remember that Rovaniemi is also the "official" home of Santa Claus and you can even visit his shop! There you will also find the "Northernmost Zoo" on Earth, with an amazing collection of polar creatures.
Main attractions: Santa Claus Village, Lapland’s Provincial Museum Arktikum, the forest-themed Pilke Science Centre, Korundi House of Culture, Ranua Zoo
Guided activities: 2 Northern Lights safaris; 3 guided adventures selected by you (Husky safari, reindeer safari, Santa Claus tour, ice fishing, snowshoe adventure, among many others)
Accommodations: City Hotel Rovaniemi
Kemi, North of the Arctic Circle
Icebreaker Ships, Northern Lights & More Adventure
Days 5 through 7 – Kemi, north of the Arctic Circle | Click For Summary
Become one of the few people on the planet to be able to say: "I have been to the north of the Arctic Circle!" when you reach the town of Kemi. Once there, take the concepts of "exotic" and "adventurous" to their limits by spending the night at the SnowCastle (rooms made entirely of ice and snow) and riding the Sampo icebreaker ship, which will give you the chance (optional) to dive into the freezing Arctic Ocean! They will even give you a certificate to attest to your bravery!
Main attractions: the Snow Castle and Snow Hotel, Sampo the icebreaker ship
Guided activities: brunch at the Sampo; Arctic Ocean dive (OPTIONAL; wetsuit included)
Accommodations: Snow Hotel Kemi
Return to Helsinki for Relaxation
Days 7, 8 – Return to Helsinki | Click For Summary
After so many incredible adventures, you are now ready to return to Helsinki for your last night and for your flight back home, the following day.