Scenic Norway: Railways & Fjords
- Duration: 12 through 15 Days
- Season: April through September
- Cities Featured: Oslo, Balestrand, Bergen, Alesund, Trondheim
- Price: $243 to $420 per day, per person
- Explore Oslo, Bergen, Balestrand & Alesund
- Ride the Flam Railway & sail the Sognefjord
- Stay and dine at the renowned Kviknes hotel
- Enjoy an overnight Hurtigruten cruise
- Visit the Viking Ship & Kon-Tiki Museums
This popular tour takes you to Western Norway, a region of narrow fjords cutting into tall mountains, of waterfalls cascading down mountainsides, and of glaciers that never melt. Spectacular architecture, one-of-a-kind train and boat rides, and delicacies made from local produce enhance the experience. Created by a succession of ice ages, the stunning landscapes of "Fjord Norway" have exhibited unchanging beauty throughout the years. Along each fjord you will find small communities and villages, each with its own charm, reflecting its local traditions and what can be grown in each place. After experiencing this trip to Norway you will understand why it is considered one of the most beautiful countries on the planet.
Included in the Premium Package
- 11 nights at centrally-located, 4-star hotels with daily Scandinavian breakfast buffet for all guests;
- 1 night aboard a Hurtigruten ship;
- Return flight to Oslo, from Alesund (OPTIONAL);
- 3 guided Sightseeing tours led by the most friendly and knowledgeable local guides;
- The Sognefjord in a Nutshell, an incredibly beautiful and exciting journey which includes scenic train rides on the Bergen and Flam lines and a ferry ride along the majestic Sognefjord;
- Luggage handling between Oslo and Bergen. All you need to bring with you is an overnight bag for your nights in Flam and Balestrand. Your luggage will meet you in Bergen, making the journey much more comfortable and relaxing;
- 48-hour Oslo Passes for all guests, giving you access to all the main attractions in both cities, plus local transportation;
- Airport-to-Hotel transfer via private car upon your arrival in Oslo (OPTIONAL);
- All of our services: preparing and implementing your entire trip (including your personalized travel book), addressing all your questions and taking good care of you while you are traveling, through our network of suppliers and our staff in the US.
Upgrade to Deluxe
- 5 Star Hotels
- Upgraded Ferry Cabin
- Private Tours
- 1st Class Train Tickets
Add 2 Days
- Overnight Cruise to Trondheim
- Guided Tour
- Flights, Cruise & Transfers
Arrival in Oslo
Oslo Sightseeing: all the Must Sees!
Norway Maritime Past at Bygdøy Island
Days 1 through 3 – Discovering Oslo | Click For Summary
Your arrival at the hip and vibrant Norwegian capital is the start of your adventure. Spend the first day exploring the city at your own pace and, on your second day, join a local guide and see the most fascinating corners of this elegant, clean and chic capital, including the amazing Vigeland Sculpture Park. Taking full advantage of your Oslo Pass (included), spend some of your time in the city learning about Norway’s rich maritime history in the awesome little museums of Bygdøy Island, affectionately known as “museum island.”
Main attractions: Oslo Opera House, Vigeland Sculpture Park (amazing collection of statues about the human condition), the Viking Ship Museum, the Kon-Tiki Museum, Akershus Fortress, Bygdøy.
Guided activities: 3-hour Sightseeing tour of Oslo (walking or biking, small group)
Accommodations: Thon Opera Hotel
Flam Railway & The Sognefjord
Getting to Know Balestrand
Fjord Safari & Arrival in Bergen
Days 4 through 6 – In the Heart of Fjord Country | Click For Summary
Continuing your journey, embark on the Sognefjord in a Nutshell ®, a trip which will take you through some of Norway's most beautiful fjord scenery. You will experience the scenic Bergen Railway, the breathtaking Flåm Railway, the Aurlandsfjord, and the narrow and dramatic UNESCO-protected Nærøyfjord.
Included in this segment of your trip is 2 nights at the renowned Kviknes Hotel, in Balestrand, which will allow you to further immerse yourself in the splendor of Norway (dinner included at the hotel on both nights). Feel the thrill of a fjord safari aboard a fast RIB boat along the Sognefjord or try some leisurely kayaking, an incredibly beautiful and peaceful experience.
Main attractions: train ride along the Flam and Bergen lines, ferry ride along the Sognefjord
Guided activities: kayak tour of Balestrand or RIB boat tour along the Sognefjord
Accommodations: Kviknes Hotel
Exploring Bergen, the Gateway to the Fjords
Departure to Alesund on a Hurtigruten overnight Cruise
Days 6 through 8 – Discovering Bergen | Click For Summary
Your beautiful ferry ride along the Sognefjord is concluded in Bergen, the city known as the “Gateway to the Fjords.” Take your time when exploring this magnificent town, which is beautiful however you look at it. There you can eat lunch at the Fish Market, admire the entire city atop Mount Fløyen and soak in the local art at the KODE museums. It is also possible to include a private tour of the city to your program if you wish.
Main attractions: funicular to Mount Fløyen (spectacular views), the Bryggen (old wharf & traditional wooden buildings), Hanseatic Museum, Bergenhus Fortress, KODE art museums
Accommodations: Det Hanseatiske Hotel
The Majestic Geirangerfjord
Exploring Art-Noveau Alesund
Open day in Alesund & Return to Oslo
Days 8 through 12 – Hurtigruten Overnight Cruise, the GEIRANGERFJORD and Ålesund | Click For Summary
Depart from Bergen aboard a Hurtigruten cruise ship on an overnight journey to Ålesund. Before arriving in Ålesund you are in for a treat, as you will sail the waters of the Geiranger fjord, Norway's most famous fjord. Geiranger fjord is known as one of the jewels of the Norwegian fjords. With its characteristic "S" shape, high waterfalls and abandoned mountain farms, the fjord landscape is included on UNESCO’s list of World Heritage sites. Ålesund and its surrounding areas are among the most visited sites by tourists in Norway. You will have plenty of time to explore this beautiful city and go for long hikes along some of its many trails. OPTIONAL: return to Oslo for a night at a hotel by the airport, making your return home the following day convenient and stress-free.
Main attractions: Art Nouveau architecture and museums, the majestic Geiranger fjord
Guided activities: 3-hour Sightseeing tour of Alesund (walking, small group or private)
Accommodations: Hotel Brosundet